For you, the dress code is casual.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Way to Edumecate the Youth, Diego

So, working at a children's school, I know all the fuss that gets made over Dora the Explorer and her cousin Diego. Today, sitting around and being a loser (pajamas, snacking, and hours of television... bliss), I was flipping through the channels and spotted Diego on PBS.

"Hmm, let's see what the fuss is about," I thought, as I put the remote down on the couch.

And what's the very first thing that Diego's doing? He's befriending a mother jaguar who's under duress because her jaguar cub is missing.

I'm a Canadian. We kinda get to learn early what to do around bears, cubs, that sort of thing. Making nice and palling around with them? NOT a good plan. And when they're depressed and scared and panicking about their offspring? Dumb fucking notion.

Yeah, sure, let's go play with mama jaguar. I'm sure she'll keep her claws in until we're done playing around. Right.

***

I once had to caption an old children's series in which the natives were chanting "Ooga booga" and I had to put "[singing native language]". Man, did I ever feel like the evil honky. Never mind that one of the characters referred to the natives as "those heathen monkeys". Ahh, the '70s. All in an honest day's work, eh?