For you, the dress code is casual.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Rambling about the craft again

I was gonna write about a whole bunch of other shit until I saw a random quote on a random webpage. "A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people."

Oh, so wrong. For some of us it's like breathing. When I'm sucking at it, I feel vacuous in life. I feel that way now, or have, of late. Normally, writing comes easily. It's not always good, no. There's writing, and then there's writing. "Writing" is not fulfilling. It's drone-ful, like the act of having to consciously breathe. It's troublesome but necessary. Writing, however, is everything. It's when your synapses are laced with serendipity. Everything's just another happy happenstance. It just comes together the way you'd been wishing that it might.

It doesn't happen often. The other writing, that's easy. Knowing how language fits together is just another skill. But knowing what good writing is means that failing to accomplish it, however short the distance between it and your reality might be, THAT is something very difficult to endure for any length of time.

And I've been sucking the big one of late. I haven' t had a trance-like writing experience for quite some time. There's something about those rare times where an idea just TAKES HOLD and doesn't let go. Might be 5 minutes, might be 50, but for that spell of time, it seems entirely possible that this writing thing could be the bestest thing you'd ever do. After all, how often in life is it that you truly wish you were doing exactly that and nothing else, anywhere, at all? Being truly present in a moment of time is the coolest damned thing there is. Doesn't hit me too often. Writing's the best route to it.

Pfft. For the briefest moment I had this "wow, I'd like to write about X" epiphany cycling home tonight as I huffed my way over the bridges. Think I can remember it now?

Sigh. The inner rage I feel is presently brought to you by The Kills. Ain't no wow now, she says. But because I can't write, you're not plugged in. Oh, curse the cosmos.

I hate to admit this, but Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take This (Anymore)" just spun onto my 'POD. Snicker-snort. Oddly apropos in a stunted artistry kind of way.