For you, the dress code is casual.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Everything (But The Kitchen Sink) Super-Duper UnBran Muffin

All right, I've outdone myself. These are some mighty tasty-good muffins that are freakishly good for you, but still taste very indulgent. Let me preface this by saying I hate bran muffins. No, seriously. Do I ever. Bran muffins, those made-by-mom boring-as-fuck bran muffins, suck.

These are not those. Nuh-uh. These have bananas, peanut butter, cranberries, almonds, big-ass raisins, and, yes, bran. They're light, though, fluffy, yet still full of fibre and protein.

And it's my recipe. So there. But I'll share, 'cos that's the kind of gal I am. These are what I'm making so that I have healthy breakfasts that keep me going, in more ways than one.

Steff's Everything (But The Kitchen Sink) Super-Duper UnBran Muffin

Keep these away from kryptonite, 'cos they're super! But freeze 'em and they'll keep for 2-3 weeks. Toast 'em and butter 'em and have with a slice of cheddar. Or be healthy and eat them plain. Booorrring. Makes 24 fist-sized muffins.

In a big bowl, combine:
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup butter

Cream together. Add:
2 eggs
1 old (black) banana, broken up
1/3 cup molasses

Cream it together. Add:
2 cups milk

Mix well. Stir in:
3 cups wheat bran

In a bigger bowl, combine:
2 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp salt

Mix the bran mixture with the flour mixture as lightly as you can. You should try to stir muffins less than 20 times or they will get heavy and tough. As soon as it's ALMOST mixed, add to the muffin dough:

1 cup chopped almonds
1.5 cups dried cranberries
2 cups jumbo raisins

Combine until the fruit/nuts are evenly distributed. In a preheated 400-degree oven, bake the muffins for 18 - 22 minutes, until they spring back to shape after poked with a finger. :)

(They tend to get really stuck to paper muffin cups, so I would recommend either foil muffin cups or none at all.)

Enjoy.