For you, the dress code is casual.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

MmMmM... Yorkies!

Yorkshire pudding is reason enough to never, ever think of doing the Zone diet. Ohmigodisitgood!

I made this recipe of Yorkshire. Absofrigginlutely perfect Yorkshire.

See, my mother taught me at 17 how important good Yorkshire was. Something to really treasure. We were in England, I was in Grade 12, and we'd been seeing a bit of the countryside, really taking in towns and all before we landed in the city of York for a three-day stint. Well, that first night we dined at Russell's of Coppergate and had the roast beef and yorkshire pudding. Heaven. To die for. Bloody incredible Yorkshire pudding that to this day is something melty and delicious in my mind.

So, we went back the next night. It was every bit as good. My mother ordered us all wine and our meal took us nearly two hours, because this time we came with the intent of relaxing and enjoying it. The night before we rushed off to the theatre. But it was wonderful.

So we went back again the next night. Three nights in a row, the same meal. The third night, the maitre d' was so amused and delighted to see us again that they gave us dessert on the house.

And I think I've had Yorkshire pudding maybe four times since then. Tonight was a treat. It won't be long before I do it again, though.

My ribeye roast wet mustard rub:

1 tbsp Beefeater gin-infused mustard (or other alcohol)
1 tbsp hot deli mustard
1 tbsp ancient whole-grain mustard
2 tbsp olive oil
4 minced garlic cloves
1 tbsp kosher salt
3 tbsp cracked black pepper


Combine and schmear on roast. I recommend poking it with a few cloves of garlic, too. Cook to instructions.

When I make the gravy, I add:

1/4 c red wine
1 tbsp hot deli mustard
1 tbsp red currant jelly (or if you have it, a cabernet sauvignon jelly is divine, but currant's 1/3 the price)

It's a rich, zesty gravy. To make it richer, I mix my flour with butter instead of water. It's deadly, it's wrong, but it's so fucking yummy, and I have roasts twice or three times a year. Being bad on purpose rocks.