For you, the dress code is casual.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Whining, and a Recipe for French Onion Soup

I'm gnoshing on granola before I cycle in to work, which has me pissy and bitter because I really don't fuckin' wanna, but that's the price I pay for being fat and needing to be thin, then, isn't it?

Whatever. :P

When I hit that midstretch of the ride where I peak and finally see all the mountains in their glory, THAT will rock. Always does. It's the endless grind before and after that I feel great disdain for. Besides, I feel like shit and I'm tired and, pissy, but still, I'm doing it. If I could do it two weeks ago, I can sure as hell do it after the killer ride I had Saturday. Holy fucking conditioning run, Batman.

I digress.

Did the father's birthday lunch thingie on Sunday -- my "French Canadian Onion Soup". Here's my recipe. Oh, what makes it French Canadian? Using Canadian rye whiskey, of course, and lots of. My recipe's very simple but I don't think it lacks anything at all! (Canadian rye's better than the standard issue from the US -- it, by law, is aged a minimum of three years.)

Serves four, and not that generously. And it ain't no fuckin' diet food, man. Eats good with garlic toast. :)

Steff's Drunkard's French Canadian Onion Soup

5 large onions, sliced very thinly (I use a mix, usually 2-3 Spanish/sweet onions, huge white one, and a big red one, and when I'm feeling pompous, I throw some shallot in, too.)
2 tablespoons butter
teaspoon salt
1.5 tablespoons sugar

Combine in a large pan and cook the onions long, stirring often, over a medium-low heat until they're caramelized. Took me about an hour on Sunday, so, you know, be patient. Somewhere in the middle, add a tablespoon or two of dried thyme and mix up, obviously.

When they're happy, happy, deep golden brown, then deglaze the pan with:

1/2 cup Canadian whiskey
1 cup dry red wine, or even port (mm)

Add 6 cups of quality beef stock. Check the salt and thyme, and if you think it needs more, go there.

Simmer 10-20 minutes, and then serve up.

For authentic soup, use toasted baguette bits over the top of the soup (holds up the cheese!) and then sprinkle with a LOT of gruyere, emmenthal, or whatever cheese you choose. This time I did provolone piccante mixed with emmenthal, which was nice. Broil about 3-4" from the broiler until the cheese is bubbling and brown.

Enjoy!