For you, the dress code is casual.

Monday, October 29, 2007

I Don't Like Mondays But I Like the Song

It's Monday morning. Boo, hiss. But it's more like my Tuesday since I did work six hours yesterday, too. Still, I'm yawny and slow. Yawn. Groan. And crampy. Like Monday doesn't suck enough on its own, I need to get my period too. Kinda funny.

Actually, I'm in a pretty good mood. I'm still bitter that I've managed to fuck up my achilles. It's bothering me a little more than I would have expected. I still say it'll clear up pretty soon. I hope/think. Etc.

I'm looking at the new dollar rates. The Canuck buck's almost worth $1.05. Disconcerting to see America continue its rapid decrease. I'd never have thought this could happen as rapidly as it is. It's worrisome. I'm glad the Canadian dollar's worth more, but I'd like to have seen it happen in a more gradual way than this.

But, still, there was no reason our economy should've been in such a deep dive for so long. We DO own 1/3 the world's freshwater, and we DO have the second largest oil reserves in the world, second only to Saudi Arabia. Then you throw in silly other things like our wheat harvests, forests/timber potential, mining, and all that, and, yeah, who the fuck was doing these older valuations anyhow? Mickey Mouse?

It's like all the economists in the world suddenly had the lightbulb go on and realized how much Canada does have to offer. I'd been reading in some sources as far back as a decade ago that, by 2030, we'd be "the new OPEC" with our freshwater sources as the world becomes drier and more needy of water. Who knew they'd finally start looking at oil sands reserves, and we'd actually become the new OPEC based on oil alone? Quel fucked, Batman.

But the dollar's pretty spooky, how fast it's moving. At least we're not just strengthening against the Yankee buck, which would be alarming and a double-edged deathknell of sorts. We're strengthening against everyone's currency. It's just crazy shit, really. It's hip to be a Canuck buck.

Some are saying "oh, it'll go back down to a buck by the end of the year" but I think this news out of Alberta where Klein's government has raised the royalties on oil is pretty substantial. I can't see that not being a massive boost to the economy given that it's based largely on oil that our buck's getting so strong. Hmm.

Strange times here in Canada. On the one hand, I want to see the Canuck buck keep going because I think our economy's on the right track, but on the other, I'm terrified to see what happens if America continues crippling itself with its incredibly STUPID fucking banking industry and all the high-risk loans they're getting defaulted on, and the housing market crashing, et al. Wow. I can't believe what's happening south of the border. Strange, strange things afoot. How fucking moronic their credit industry is. I mean, shit, that's just incredible that they've let it go so far for so long. How could people NOT be defaulting on loans? How could the housing market NOT crash? What morons. Unbelievable.

Of course it's more complicated than that, but, still. Just makes ya wanna shake your head.

'course, also makes me even happier to live north of the 49th, too. Yay Canada.

Speaking of money... let's go make some! Yay jobs!