For you, the dress code is casual.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Yawn, Grumble, Grumble

So, I'm dreading going outside. It's below zero, but it's sunny. Soonish. Work does beckon, after all.

My timing is good for jumping up the job search. The boss emailed to say she's concerned she may have to give the two-week warning that work's drying up. Fortunately, I have an interview Friday for one job, and looks like I have another Monday for another job, and I just did a "marketing test" for a third job (another in my neighbourhood). I think the third job is the one that would be best for me, 'cos it'd give me a leg-up into the marketing industry, where I think I could really shine. It's an entry-level position, and, as I mentioned, is pretty close to home -- just over a kilometre or two. Walkable.

I haven't heard back from the phone interview I had last Friday morning (the afternoon one is the follow-up interview I have tomorrow morning) but I had a migraine then, so, whatever. It's also downtown, and I'm sick as all hell of working downtown. It's like trying to claw your way out of hell when the goddamned snow comes. Then there's the homelessness, the high-priced food, et al. I want out.

So, it sucks that my job's back to being highly insecure, but it kicks ass that my timing's as good as it is. Plus, there's a crazy amount of job postings -- I'm just trying not to spread myself thin. I REALLY want one of these two "in the hood" jobs as it'd be awesome to not have to ride my scooter for work anymore. I'm tired of feeling like my life is on the line every day I'm going to work. I'd lose weight if I worked down the hill from here at the "marketing" job. The other one's too close to make a difference.

Meanwhile, I have a hot date with a bowl of steel-cut Scottish oats and some coffee, then I'm off to finish my drama I began yesterday.

Aside from the people at work, what I'll really miss is getting to work on top-rated dramas like the one I'm doing today and seeing how wildly creative some of the actors are when it comes to improv. This particular drama is a star-fucker, meaning that celebrities of all kinds jump at the opportunity to do a cameo on it, and the more I work on it, the more I realize that the reasoning for that must be that actors get free reign to do improv with the lines.

There was one instance where one of the regulars went wildly off the script and dropped a one-liner on her co-star in that scene, and they both just died laughing as a result. A regular viewer would think it was great writing and great acting, but it was true reaction as a result of great improv... something the viewers at home never, ever get to know.

And that's something I'll really miss. Sigh. I love having the behind-the-scenes knowledge like that. Very cool.

Right. Oats and coffee! Woot.