For you, the dress code is casual.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Ooh, the Steffness Redux

Okay, so Oprah will be on in five minutes, my laundry has been switched over, and I caught a clip of a short story on NBC's Today show while I was stretching my hammy strings.

The story was on a couple living in the city but growing all their own food and living off their stamp-sized land. It was pretty cool, about making choices for lifestyle and things like that.

After all this settles down, I'll be making lunches in advance and that sort of thing. I want to work shorter days (no lunches) and get home sooner. I want to save money. I want to go to GayDays at Disneyland with GayBoy. I want to buy new clothes.

So, I need to continue living this dialed-back life I've grown accustomed to over the last year. This week, I'm badly purchasing lunches, but I tell you, whatever crutch I can use, I will, right now.

I see things settling down drastically next week. If I manage to learn some about podcasting this weekend and get one good new ride in, and take receipt of the delivery of my new sofa, I will consider myself on an awesome new page for next week. All I need is a little movement, that's all. I'm just stuck, and I want to bust free of all this hindrance.

But, the simple life. It's Slow. I love Slow food, Slow life, Slow sex, Slow nights. It's a lifestyle choice, keeping things simple and uncluttered and free to change. I loved this book. (It would seem to be between printings or something... somethin's up with the paper version. Hmm. Still, awesome book for food for thought.)

After I read that book, way back when, I cut my hours by three per week, and worked an extra half-hour per day, and took no lunches, and changed my weeks into four-day work weeks with those small tweaks. I will unfortunately be working 5-6 days a week for the next couple months, but, whatever. The money will free up the chance to do a few things I've been needing, like clothes and such, and then I will work towards a Slower life -- slightly shorter days, and that sort of thing.

Simplify, simplify, simplify. Oh, the fantasy of it all. Oprah's on. Girltime.