For you, the dress code is casual.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

On Music and Moods

Bed's not long off. I think an earlier night is in order.

I'm still copying music. I'm just finishing up on my Lloyd Cole and the Commitments in my A-I binder. Heh. Fun, fun. Let's see, what's iTunes say now? Right, 140 days off. I'll have to take a six month sabbatical and listen to some music. God.

I know, everyone goes through this, but they should bitch about it too. It's irritating. Mmf.

Okie, in with the Cowboy Junkies now. There's a band I'd like to see again sometime. That's like crashing a really good living room practice, it's so comfortable. What a great performance they give, but it was so down to earth and casual. Loved that.

Hey, wow, they're on tour in the States. Stateside readers should totally check them out. Here are the dates. I'm not a big country fan, but their blend of mellow country meets alt-rock sort of works for me. Maybe I'll listen to some now. The Trinity Session.

I think the Junkies would be good writing music. If I get back into writing fiction, I'll need to replace my Loreena McKennitt music. My mother's, actually, but hey. One of the best things I ever wrote was a timed-writing story I wrote to her The Visit album. I think I channeled some lovechild of Atwood/King/Denis Johnson ghost there and wrote this awesome death sequence that involved an anchor and a pair of flip-flops. I know you're not supposed to love your own shit, but, yeah, well, fuck "supposed to".

I've always thought I could flesh that into a book, too, a good dark Canadian novel. But I think I need to be 45 before I can do it, the way I want to take it. Maybe never. I don't know. As flash fiction it's strong, but how much does anyone really care about flash fiction beyond "it's GREAT in the bathroom!" anyhow?

I'm not sure what my favourite writing music is. I don't think I have any right now. It's been so long since I've given a shit about music that I'm not sure what works for something like writing right now. I suspect I should give some Tom Waits a listen to for writing sometime. There'd be some pretty cool mood. I'd like to get some good old dirty blues, a few compilations so it's all across the board, since I need me some schooling in it. Everyone from John Lee Hooker to Robert Johnson, Earl Hines, Pine Top Smith, Count Basie, Muddy Waters, and the fucking list goes on. All people I've mumbled and muttered that I wanna look into but I've never gotten around to it.

But I'll get there.

Now it's all about bed, so I'm outtie. Letting "'Cos Cheap is How I Feel" play out here by the Junkies.

Tomorrow is George Michael. Heh heh heh. Silly, but I'll really love it.

Labels: ,