For you, the dress code is casual.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

FOOD, FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD!

I scared the crap out of myself earlier by watching The Exorcist alone. Holy bejesus! Makes a gal wonder on the wisdom of leaving the church, y'know.

I'm cleaning my oven tonight. I had a fire in the oven... oh, I don't know, when I was broke off my ass, that much I remember. It was when I was making foccaccia, and I remember it being a beautiful, hot summer day, so, probably early June, as I wasn't yet employed. All the oil ran off my wall-less baking sheet and ignited. The interior's been black as hell ever since, about 1/2" thick in places, still with clumps of baking soda on the floor. I really should've taken a photo, since it's one of the most disgusting things ever. I've been horrified about it, but there's really little that's less fun than cleaning an oven.

But. It's getting done. I've cleaned about 85% of it out and I've just sprayed the walls again to get the last of the crap off. Tomorrow I'm roasting a 7-lb chicken so I have food all week -- probably chicken caesars on worknights, sandwiches or quesadillas during the days. I love the idea of roasting a bird and living off it all week. It's making life easier at my end.

Earlier, I've made both hummous and my French (Canadian) Onion Soup. I ate well tonight. I'd done all my shopping today -- including at stop at my beloved Les Amis Du Fromage, aka The Coolest Cheese Shop In the World. I need to stop being so pedestrian with cheeses, so every week or two I'm going to try a couple hundred grams of experimental cheeses. Today it was a true Dubliner cheddar -- with Guinness marbled throughout it -- and a cranberry Wensleydale (I think I have the name wrong) [but just 100 grams of each]. They're both awesome. But I tried this INCREDIBLE dessert cheese that I may get next time -- white stilton with candied ginger. I also picked up true aged Gruyere for the soup.

But the rest of what I plan to eat this week will be pretty healthy-ish. Could be healthier, but hey. It's getting there. I think I'll probably only have one or two small pieces of cheese each time I have any, with all of four crackers. I suspect it'll be breakfast each day this week.

The hummous is being eaten with Lundberg brown rice chips, which are phenomenally tasty, too. Yay.

Clearly this is a food day pour moi.

French (Canadian) Onion Soup A La Steff
(this is a recipe I've concocted, nice and simple compared to a lot of overdone F.O. soups. The rye's what makes it really unique, methinks.)

3 large Spanish onions, halved and thinly sliced
1 tbsp butter

Caramelize onions in butter -- medium heat, stirring often, should take about 30 minutes. Add:

1/2 cup good port
1/2 cup rye whiskey

Allow to simmer for a minute. Add:

1 litre good chicken stock, or if you want it heavier, beef
2 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tbsp salt (or to taste)

Bring to a near boil, then simmer 20 minutes. Ladle into bowls, add toasted slices of baguette and then top with shredded gruyere and broil until bubbly and brown. Dig in.