For you, the dress code is casual.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Welcome to My Bullet-in-the-Brain Monday

Shoot me now. It's one of those days.

I'm transferring old posts to the new blog, and every one needs to be done manually. Then, I go back to the old blog, write in a simple line of text telling them it's been relocated, click and you'll go to the new site.

It'll probably piss people off. Some will not follow the link, et al, but whatever. That's a price I'll have to pay. When it comes to advertising, dollars get spent on hits and visits. About 50% or way more of my traffic comes by way of my archives. Without the archives on the new site, I'll languish with 200 or 300 hits a day, slowly increasing, but I don't have the time to slowly build a new larger audience.

(Fortunately, I'm wise enough to realize all the work that needs to be done to make this transition successful. It's hard, it's draining, exasperating, but worth it. I'm pleased to see I have more than 50 subscribers to my feed in just a week, so let's see if that number continues to escalate. Turns out there's a number of lines of code one must alter in their Mega Data on their html template in order to have all feeds redirected to Feedburner, where you can track and monitor stats. I did that last week for the new site, something I never did on the old site. Most pages can auto-find feed of several varieties if the Mega Data's not homogenized with the Feedburner code. God. I'm learning too much about this shit now.)

Thus. The mind-numbing continues. I should be podcasting, but I'm tired and I'm in a shit mood, so at least I'm doing work, per se. This will pay dividends, what I'm doing now. That I despise doing it is but a hiccup in the long run. Maybe water and coffee and food are needed, since I've been doing this for three solid hours now. Well, I've been doing a variety of things for three solid hours, but all related to the blogosphere and my place within it.

God. What an endless task. I probably have about 15 or 20 hours of this work to do, and I keep avoiding it. As soon as it happens, though, I'll probably be up to 1,000 or more hits per day.

The money's in my archives. I'd be a fool to ignore it much longer. Well, I'll get back to it in awhile, but we'll call this my lunch break.

I'm not sure why I'm in such a pissy mood. It began yesterday and continues still. I've found out it's 700 hours of work I need in order to qualify for employment insurance, and the work that's guranteed to me over the next few weeks might not take me to the threshold. I'm at about 585 hours now, so I'm a little alarmed to discover that the hours are higher than I'd originally thought. (I thought about 640, but it turns out that BC has the lowest unemployment rate, at 4.2%, and that means the required hours are higher than they once were.)

I hate stress. I hate uncertainty. I'm sure it'll work out. Always does, doesn't it? But I just don't want to have to call in favours or beg family members. I've recontacted a couple of employment agencies to let them know I'm interested in temp and contract work after November 15th.

I will, of course, let my present employer know where I stand, and I have faith they'll do all they can (without compromising their bottom line, of course) to help me get the hours where they need to be.

I've cancelled all engagements today as I'm far too productive to be social today. Getting shit done feels good, but I wish it was more enjoyable stuff.