For you, the dress code is casual.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Weird Little World of Mine

Well, my catastrophic "bloggie go boom!" problem has now been resolved. A helpful reader sent me a link and said, "Oh, according to this, it looks like you'll have to rebuild from scratch" in regards to the template snafu I was suffering from. (The dynamic linking from all my archives went boom and would link you instead to a "Wah! My template sucks!" posting from last week. I was a wee bit choked.)

So, I followed the link and looked at the site, and instead of believing my beloved reader, I decided to check out one other section on the site, and lo and behold, the secret to resolving my woes was right there.

I merely had to add a new line of code to my "head" section of the template, and presto! Just like magick! That saved me probably 6-8 mindnumbing hours of trying to Figure The Fucking Thing Out. Thank god!

Had a good day at Eat Vancouver with the guy today. More his thing, since he's a slightly different kind of foodie than me, but I certainly enjoyed myself. I was having a problem really enjoying it because of the bright lights and constant noise, given all the headaches I've had of late, but I'm still glad I went, and certainly had some nice foods and wines and beers and such. I mean, hey, food rocks. The company was good. I was worried it'd kick the guy's ass, but I have to say he did an admirable job of keeping up to the day's demands on crutches. Still, I'm sure he'll be in a world of hurt in the morning, but at least he made it to one of his most anticipated events of the season.

On top of that, it's a good blog day. Traffic's back up in the 3,000-hits a day range, I'm second place on the Cunning Linguist Journals for the first time ever, and Alexa's numbers are on the rise. It seems my surreal hiccup has come to a stop for now, and perhaps things are back on the mend. I can relax about the template, among other things, and hopefully will sleep the sleep of the dead this evening. Last night was another fitful night, so I could use a nappy-nap. It's barely 10, and I'm about to bathe, then crash.

Tomorrow will be a "Steff Rocks Alone" kind of day. I plan to catch a matinee of "Why We Fight," an intriguing-looking documentary on the psychology & business of war, and then will browse a bookstore for an interesting used book, and then plan to jot down band names from Zulu Records of groups worth pirating. It's time to get culturally tuned-in again. And seeing a good doc in a theatre, well, that'll rock! The last I saw, I think, was Control Room. It's been a while. The first I ever saw in the theatre was Hoop Dreams. That hooked me on docs, man. Nothing like walking out of a dark room being smarter and more clued into the world, y'know.

I'm expecting a new computer in the mail this week, part of an arrangement I've set up for doing podcasting through a virtual-sex site in the near future... should be a swanky computer, and when I get it, it will soon be Mine, after I do a series of podcasts for that website. More on that another time. I plan to start using the CPU for loading up on music for a while. I'm feeling really unhip and out of touch with tunes. I've never really been in touch, but what little I've explored, my tastes have been good. I need to put a spring in my step again and find out what the kids are listening to. It's time to get in touch with pitchforkmedia.com, methinks. My laptop's evil for downloading, and the hard drive's nearly full, so... Blah. :) I can't wait!

Anyhow, it's nice to have a few positive things coming my way today. It's been one hell of a week. It's crazy how fast depression can set in when you're not feeling well. I've been kind of off, physically, since Christmas, and I'm now learning why. Good to be clued in. This past week was the downward spiral to bookend a rough few months, physically speaking, and I think I'm finally on the way back up. It'll be a while before I can declare the ascent complete, but at least the scenery might start changing.

Soon, the weather will return to goodness, and I'll be back outdoors and enjoying myself. And, with any luck, my body'll be getting happy again and I'll be kicking ass on my bike. With new tunes on my iPOD, to boot. These are the hopes. Am I a happy, shiny Steff? Well, let's not make that pronouncement just yet, but I'm working on it. That's all good. It is what it is, baby, but what it is can change, too.