For you, the dress code is casual.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

yawn... no more?

every now and then, i do something that i'm pretty darned pleased with when it comes to solving problems. today is such a day.

i've been sleeping terribly of late; this is what happens when bedtime tends to be midnight or later and the sunrise happens around 5am. i can't sleep through daylight, since my room faces east and the sunrise is glaring and cruel.

this problem should now be alleviated.

for $18 and some ingenuity, i've solved my woes. my bedroom is now a dungeon on command. my funky bamboo shades still look nice and bamboo-ey, but behind them is thick black cloth. see, i can't sew to save my life, so i bought some of that iron-on seaming stuff, and then picked up some glue sticks for my glue gun. an hour of applied work, and my blinds look flawless, but when they're down, my bedroom's nearly pitch-black. really, looking at the blinds from the front, you would never know. from outside, it'll simply look like black curtains. for the Martha Stewart in me, it's a fabulous and beautiful solution to a long-despised problem.

fucking-a. sleep awaits me tonight for a change, and for that, i'm thrilled. maybe my grumpiness and moodiness will dissipate. maybe now i'll get the focus i need in order to do the work i need to do. when i'm tired like i've been, i become distracted and effectless, and whatever i attempt has a tendency to be reasonably impotent. it sucks, in short, and i'm tired of being tired. i've meant to do this for the last four summers, since i become this sleep-deprived mockery of myself every year. but, before, i was working for The Man and it didn't matter if my efficiency went into the tank a bit, because our workload was always so low that the demand was adequately met by my meagre supplies.

now, though, i'm essentially self-employed and i'm robbing myself of success by being sleep-deprived. besides, it's affecting all my relationships since i'm Less Steff than i should be for friends, family, and others of great import.

finally. problem solved. thank god.