For you, the dress code is casual.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Steff The Problem-Solver Rides Again!

Tonight is the first night this week I'm going to bed without a pain boring into my eyes and my skull throbbing mercilessly. I've begun an old homeopathic sinusitis remedy (inhaling salt water up the nose, and, yes, it's every bit as lovely as it sounds) today and it's already helping cure my ailment. I cannot express to you how badly migraines can impede your ability to enjoy life.

Having lived once with migraines on a daily basis for more than half a year, this past couple weeks has been leaving me daunted at the prospect of needing to cope with them once again on a daily basis. Even going outside is a source of pain, as light becomes nearly unbearable. Walking is awful as every step sends a shard of pain into the frontal lobe. It's fucking unpleasant, to say the very, very least. To have relief, if even for a night, is a welcome thing indeed. I was given a prescription for a steroid-based inhaler, but, really, shooting steroids up the nose is a little freaky, considering it can erode the lining and create a chronic problem as opposed to the acute one I presently have. Yeesh.

But aside from being relatively pain-free tonight, and the prospect of a second good night's sleep in a row, I had a great moment of problem solving earlier this evening. Well before that, I was still afflicted with a headache and had cancelled my last appointment of the evening. Although I was feeling fine by the time that appointment rolled around, un-cancelling couldn't be managed, so my night was to begin earlier that normal. As a result, I was riding my scooter home in daylight for a change on a Thursday night.

I hit Nanaimo at Kingsway and my scooter puttered into a complete stall, and I had to think quickly to get out of the main drag and off to the side of the road. My timing was perfect, but I was nearly crunched by a truck -- better than getting rear-ended by the one behind me, though.

I got off and inspected the distributor cap, which had been coming loose before my "repairs" happened last week, and what should I find? The spark plug dangling from it! Well, without thinking twice, without freaking out, without a beat, I screwed that mofo back into place, attached the distributor, and rode off into the sunset -- literally.

I know it's not a major accomplishment, but I'm a girl and I fixed my bike and I feel pretty fucking cool about it. That's three things (my blinds, my template, the plug, and if the sinusitis remedy continues helping, then that's four -- the remedy already helping my hearing, and that's my major concern) I've remedied in two days. So, it goes to show you: I rock!

WOOOOOOOT.

And tomorrow I unleash a major grumblefit upon my mechanic. Damn them. Give me a new fucking spark plug and FIX the distributor! This is cramping my style. Talk about being on your knees for all the wrong reasons, man. Yeesh.

And this is my troubling, but much-loved scooter. Its name is "Pussycat." That way, going uphill, I can mentally shout, "Faster, Pussycat! Faster!"