For you, the dress code is casual.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Too Good Not to Share: Orgasm Bread!

Okay, well, maybe not orgasmic, but oh-my-god was it good! I surprised the Guy with a complete dinner last night when he thought I was just bringing over "stuff that we would eat together." Instead, I brought a salad I prepared with sweet yellow peppers and cherry tomatoes, mixed greens, and a satsuma-cranberry dressing I made, some turkey kebabs, asparagus that we grilled, and this, the piece de resistance -- sundried-tomato, basil, and garlic loaf.

Here's how to make the bread; a five-minute thing that takes an ordinary meal up about a dozen notches. Too friggin' good on a hot night with the grill goin'. The ingredients are approximate, since I scoffed at the original recipe and bumped it up, to what I think follows:

7 sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil
1 tablespoon of that oil
about a teaspoon of kosher salt
1/3 c. packed basil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c. butter

Blend all the ingredients together in a food processor, but don't overdo it -- you still want little bits of tomato. Take a nice loaf of crusty french bread and cut it into 1" slices on an angle, but don't cut all the way through the bottom crust 'cos the loaf needs to stay intact as you're about to put it in the oven. Take a couple teaspoons of the butter mix and stuff it in every cut. Use up all the butter (heh, of course!), so re-stuff any wedge that could use a little extra love. Wrap that bad boy in tinfoil, then bake in 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

It's mind-bogglingly good. I mean, oh, my GOD! I'm about to make more of the butter to put in the freezer. I think I've just discovered my latest addiction. I can imagine having this with a rich soup in the winter and dying happy. For now, it's awesome with anything grilled, I suspect. The Guy and I'll need a latenight dinner Saturday, and this looks like a great thing to accompany those prawns I've been neglecting in my freezer. mMmM! :)