For you, the dress code is casual.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Philosocky 101

When do you finally know
a sock pair has gone bad?

How long does
an unmatched, lonely sock
sit there, waiting, waiting and waiting,
for its life partner?

I did my laundry and I'm tackling my socks now. I have this pair of socks by the brand "Lucky" and one is missing, but I have a pair of socks that are lucky, and one is missing. I have about five or six other other lonely, unmatched socks hanging around, too.

And I've just cleaned my room (but not my closet, and not behind objects) and I'm thinking, "Why, some of these have been missing months... surely, it's time?"

But which has been missing longest? I don't know. Which do I care least about? But then what happens if its lifepartner arrives, and I've unceremoniously tossed his straggler already?

You know, you might even start to think this could be an analogy for real life, all about loneliness, and how long is too long to be alone.

Interesting thoughts on the day of a first date.

But, you see, I'm stubborn, hopeful, and resistent to concession. The socks stay. Soon, I shall thoroughly clean my cupboards out here and in the hallway, and if that fails, I will pronounce the Search and Rescue mission kaput, and Recovery unlikely.

Until then, the unclaimed, neglected pile goes back to its rightful perch atop my formica cabinet. Ever the optimist. Or is that apathist?
________________

Life has conspired to give me an incredible day off. A wind has blown all the bleak away, and the sun is dominating the landscape.

I was to work a full day today for one employer, and realized that if I called another employer to see if their busy week was still on full boil so I could work there for fewer hours, and more money. So, I called, and got given a four-five hour shift. "Great," I thought. "Now I need a good lie for why I can't work for X."

Then, an hour later, X calls to say she's going to be out of the office all day, and I could either work at home or have the day off. "Great!" I blurted. "I've been needing a day off!"

So, this morning I get up, catch the red of the early sun rise, groan, crawl back in bed, pull the covers up, bury my face in the pillow, and catch one more hour dead to the world. I rolled out of bed at 8:30, began stretching my stiffness out, when the phone rings.

"Hey, Steff, it's Y. I just wanted to tell you that the power's out here, and you can't come in until at least 11." Great! More time! So, I slowly finished housecleaning, enjoyed a slow, hot shower, then got dressed, and called into the office: Power's STILL out!

Hey, look, ma -- the day off! So, now my plan has changed: Coffee on the beach, some photography, etcetera, followed by hopefully a nice evening with nice company.

But even better? I've found out that the money I've been waiting on so I can quit my jobs other than tutoring? My wait's done! A check's going in the mail tomorrow. Next week, the check arrives, and I quit and move on with my life.

I fucking LOVE these kinds of weird little serendipitous coming-togethers. My life ROCKS some days, and THIS is one of those days.

Now, if I'm lucky, this wind means there are awesome whitecaps at the beach. It also means balancing my scooter's gonna be dodgy, but hey, man, it's a good day for a challenge!