For you, the dress code is casual.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Die, week, die!

My week, it seems, has come to a close. I am going to smoke dope and listen to music and just enjoy the demise of the Bad/Exhausting Week. Hey, it sucked for Julius Caesar, too, man. (The Ides of March, 23 stab wounds, "Et tu, Brutus?" etc.)

I'm wishing I had Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Little Wing" somewhere right now, but I don't--I don't think. And I don't feel like downloading it this minute. For some reason, all day long, I kept remembering when I drove back alone from Whistler a couple years ago, on a hot summer night, pulled off to the side of the highway overlooking the water, and listened to Little Wing while stargazing and smoking a joint for the better part of an hour in the early morning. Gotta love that "repeat" option, yeah?

I guess that, right now, I can't really think of anything that'd sooth my soul a little more than a long, long roadtrip. There's something really purifying about a well-paced scenic road and a good stereo loaded with music. I really, really miss that about a car. I did a lot of roadtrips to a lot of places in my time--from the Mexican border to Alaska, the Northwest Territories, Manitoba, and everything in between.

Being confined to the city is really frustrating sometimes. It's kind of hard to forget your place in the world when you're constantly at home. Lost out there in the world is a good place to be. Honestly, I'd love a life as a nomad. Gimme a yurt and a Coleman stove, man, and I'll do just fine. Actually, hostels are more my bag, but one should always seize the opportunity to use the word "yurt." [Not quite the double-wide trailer type? You too can live close to nature in all the comforts of a made-in-BC yurt. Of course, there's something to be said for a rustic Mongolian yurt, but it seems the Mongolian yurtmakers haven't flocked to internet technology just yet. Baffling.]

I guess any two-bit shrink could tell you why I'm fixating on a roadtrip: Subliminal desire to actually possess control over my direction in life, and a mad wish to run like the wind from my life.

Yep. Sounds like a plan.

But what's with the yurt fascination, apart from the flaming fear of commitment? [Okay, now I've checked out the photos section on Yurtco's site, and geez, man, now I want one--and a plot of land in the mountains. For 10-grand? Awesome.]