For you, the dress code is casual.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

"But wait, there's more!"

Ask yourself this: Could you ever befriend a person who sold things on The Shopping Channel? This is that good-looking dude with the cheery, enthusiastic disposition, who happens to think it's perfectly logical that he should be selling you incredibly useless things through the television in your living room.

Now, all right, if you have a friend and they become that perfect salesperson for the network and you choose to remain their friend, well, that I can understand. But if I met someone at a party that worked for TSC, I'd stay and talk with them for a bit with that same sort of curiosity that causes you to slow down and peer at a potentially bad vehicle accident. Fascination and horror.

Really. They prey on little old ladies who wind up dead on mysteries, with storerooms full of unopened shopping network goods. I mean, these people can lie about how satisfied they are with this new brand of astroturf. Or worse yet, they're shallow enough that all this crap matters to them.

Either way, I'd stay long enough for my drink to hit me, I'd smile, walk on, and never revisit it. It's hard enough trusting people in everyday non-threatening jobs, but trusting someone who's a fraud for a living? C'mon.

So, listen up, kids. This is why you need to keep your career paths open. Maybe just wholeheartedly chasing after, say, "acting" as a career could prove to be a questionable choice.