For you, the dress code is casual.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Apathy

There's a press conference with George Bush on television right now. I should be heading to work, but I can't yet see the bottom of my coffee mug.

Just watching Bushy, though, it strikes me that I haven't bitched about politics in awhile. I found myself wondering why.

I'd like to say I've gotten over the fact that Bush is in office until 2008/9, but I haven't. I'm still pretty disillusioned about it all. Even moreso since Hunter Thompson's death, not that Hunter has anything to do with it, but because I've read a little of his classic election tome, On the Campaign Trail '72, and it strikes me just how little the US has changed... but how that's only the case because of the amount of regression done of late.

I absolutely loathe the religious right. I think it's abhorrent to legislate morality. I think it's unforgiveable to be intolerant of other people's beliefs just because they don't mesh with yours. I think it's laughable that the US administration is currently practicing nearly every single thing at home that they loathe in Middle Eastern countries--ruling based on religion, enforcing their narrow perception of what "morality" is--yet they seem to think it's justifiable simply because their faith supports that.

My silence on the issue should in no way suggest I somehow feel things have improved just because Bush and his cronies are pretending to make nice on the world circuit. I'm sure the "hangover" will subside and I'll start paying attention to American politics again, but it's rough when every time you look at a newspaper you get that disgusted feeling in the pit of your stomach.

It's just sad. I believe in freedom being our most valuable possession. I love the variety and spice brought to life by all the cultures and faiths that are found in my city and my nation. And I deplore the judgmental, exclusionist approach to freedom I see embraced by the in-power Republicans right now. I think it's a cruel, cruel lie, and I think it's unfortunate a (albeit slight) majority of the American people are swallowing it, and I believe the media is still at fault. And I don't know what else to say.