For you, the dress code is casual.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Muffins, Muffins, Must Make Me Some Muffins!

Ahh, a muffin day.

Haven't made muffins since before I got sick, so three or four weeks. There's a hole in my heart that can only be filled by blueberry muffins, I'm afraid.

The oven's warming up, which is to say generating grease smoke in my kitchen. Note to self: Must clean oven. No more chicken-roasting until oven has been degreased. Fire is bad. Very bad.

Mornings are getting easier -- a couple more weeks and I'll be on a whole new schedule.

I've been off my meds now since early last week, and I feel I'm getting onto a more even keel now. I'm sleeping less, which is good, since I've been wasting about two hours too many on sleep every day for the last two years.

I was always very much like the line from a Bret Easton Ellis short story -- "Richard never used an alarm clock. He was comprehensively alarmed." I was always able to go to bed, say "I need to be up at 6:30am", go to sleep, and I'd wake up without an alarm by 6:27.

The last two years? Not even close. Getting out of bed has been fucking arduous. Love the sleep. I still love to sleep, but if I wake up, I get up. Simple. Once I wake, I can't sleep -- if I'm not on meds.

So, basically, I've just been given two extra hours for each and every day. Wow. Whatever shall I do about it? Whew. But thank GOD. I've always liked mornings, but they've been a lot harder when I've been chemically feeling groggy for so long. Nice to be getting to my old self again.

Well, the smoking has subsided in the kitchen. Must be time to bake some muffins. :) Sunshine and muffins and cheddar and coffee and reasonably good day lies ahead. There really isn't a more pleasant start to a morning.