For you, the dress code is casual.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Great Culinary Challenge!

I'm going to be doing a lot of research on SAMOSAS this week. One of my fave restaurants, the Afghan Horseman, makes these awesome "sambosas" -- which are samosas done with more fragrant seasonings. I swear, I get hints of cinnamon in their take on it.

Samosas and their variants are eaten throughout Africa and the Middle East. The seasonings are what makes it different depending on the region you're making it in the tradition of. For instance, garam masala is the big ingredient in India, whereas coriander and cumin might be the ingredients elsewhere.

So... I need to really try to find all these regional variations and guess at which combination sends my culinary heart aflutter.

I'll be baking mine... no deep frying in this household, thanks... and using spring roll wrappers. Cheating, but it's gonna work.

And since the web's so scattered with these stupid recipes, I'm gonna put a big posting with all the info I've gleaned on The Quest for the Perfect Samosa.

(I'm also annoyed there's apparently 30 ways to spell "samosa" too. Sigh.)