For you, the dress code is casual.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Sunday Babbling

Bah. I'm editing tracks and it's disheartening. I've only had two sessions, and one sucked, of recording, really, since I learned a couple weekends ago that all my stuff was corrupted. For the last 10 days, my throat has been raspy, and for the last week, I've been nasal. So. Now I'm nasal and raspy. Improving, but still.

But none of my stuff works. Not really. Not yet. And I have to ask myself, are my standards too high?

I think I need to worry less and allow it to be imperfect. Everyone starts somewhere. On that topic, on the weekend I was watching some of the Oprah DVDs with GayBoy that he gave me last year.

It's fucking awesome when you watch the old clips of "big" Oprah -- chubby and with huge, huge hair. If you pay attention, she does this weird stance when she's trying to ask aggressive questions in an awkward setting. She'll be standing, one leg extended, and then do this sideways head-pointing thing that looks something between an ostrich lashing out and a footballer practicing head-butts against a wall.

It's so fucking funny. She did it all the time in the early days, around '85-88 or so. So funny. It's great.

Now, though, she has perfect poise.

I mean, I know it takes people years to develop voices, but I don't have years. I guess I thought I was speshul and could somehow have an elevated product the first time out the gate. Today's a little bit of an eye-opener, and it's only 9:34 in the fucking morning.

It occurs to me, too, though, that I might just be a really daft cunt, as the British would say. I have the world's shittiest speakers. The cable's attached with duct tape. It crackles and pops. It may be that the speakers are the problem for some of these tracks. Future Shop has a good deal on an $80 pair selling for $30. Two satellites and a subwoofer, 40 watts total power, and a 2-year guarantee. Sounds like my kinda deal. I have a store run to make, and then I might actually enjoy doing this shit. Hell, I needed new speakers a year ago.

Okay, then. New speakers, and a new attitude. Lower my standards. Like that should be so hard for me to do. Ha.

And now I get to go play with sharp knives! GayBoy gave me my birthday present early. I got a set of sharp nice proper cooking knives. Tomatoes are no longer an evil thing to chop. Yay! Cuts through potato like butter.

He shoulda thrown in a $20 bill, though, because the gift is incomplete. I'm gonna need that $20 to pay the cabby for a ride to the hospital when I sever a digit. Yeesh!