For you, the dress code is casual.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Potpourri Steff

Well, my aunt broke the news yesterday: I'd be getting a cool grand for my birthday. A thousand smackeroos.

I tell you, there are a lot of NEEDS I have been putting off: A hardy winter scootering coat, a new helmet to replace the one that has been dropped a dozen times on concrete (once it rolled down a hill), a pair or two of shoes, new glasses (an out-of-date prescription wreaks havoc on me daily) and more. ALL those needs are being attended to in the next week.

I need to find real, real cute specs. I'm thinking something rectangular and with caramel and other colour tones to it. This time I'm thinking I'll do a sun-activated tint so I can forget about stupid things like clip-ons and such. I'm pissed I lost two clip-ons and a pair of sunglasses in the last year, and I seldom lose things. Grr! I just need to look into whether such tint can negatively affect people and what the drawbacks are.

And I will get a bright yellow Taiga coat. For some reason, MEC goes from $185 to $395. They have NOTHING midrange, and the $185 doesn't sound like it's geared to riding 65km an hour into blinding wind and rain, so I'll PASS, thanks. And while I try to be a sunshiney girl and all (snicker, right) the yellow's not a tribute to my disposition (got that right!) but is rather a Safety Steff scheme to stay alive yet another year.

I really don't wanna spend a hundred bucks on a new lid, but having seen my helmet fall off the back of a bike and bounce, then roll, down a hill, you can understand my wondering if the integrity of the shell may have been compromised. Having had my life saved by a Snell/DOT-approved helmet, I don't even fucking SIT on a bike without a helmet these days. I just figure it's better to spend the cash and know I'm good than to find out the hard way one day down the line that my judgment was bad. I'm strongly considering moving to a 3/4 helmet, like I wore in my accident, rather than the full-face helmet like I presently wear. GayBoy frowns on this switch, but I have a lot of problems with the full helmet getting fogged up throughout the winter and it's made for some hairy moments.

Specs. I can't wait to get new specs! I'm gonna get ones that are adorable this time, not practical ugly crappy glasses like I got last time. BAD judgment! Bad! I'd much rather be adorable. I was wearing my old real-bad prescription ones out last night and, for some weird reason, my hair looks better now than it did when I cut it 8 weeks ago, and guys kept giving me the eye. I never get the eye in my "good" specs. Never. Bah! Hey, specs make the girl, it seems. And, and, and, one of the guys who gave me the eye is the cutie-pie deli-guy in one of my fave shops. I don't think he recognized me 'cos I usually look like crap doing errand-running when I'm in there. Hmm. Must rethink errand-running attire, it would seem!

Man. I'm wiped right out tonight. Must be the bug I've had or something. Or my brother keeping me up until 1:30am. Actually, I had this brilliant notion for a potential pitch to make to someone about a little something something right as soon as my head hit pillow at 1am, so that tacked on 30 minutes of writing the outline to what I'd had in mind. Sorry for all the coyness, but you're on a need-to-know basis, and yes, you don't need to know.

Hmm. What else.

One fun thing I'm buying myself is a new purse. Every one I own has a problem with it, and I'm tired of hiking around with a backpack. I'm sick of being utilitarian. I want to be cute. And cute brings me to another expenditure: Six months of fitness club membership. Yep. And it's good for pools. What I want to do is get into the habit of swimming more often, regularly, because, if my cosmos aligns and the world works proper and all that shit, my dream trip at the end of next year would be to go to Morocco by myself and learn to surf. Must get good at swimming. Years of being insecure of being fat at the pool kept me from swimming and my old days of being a lifeguard level swimmer are way fucking gone. And that's just no good. Maybe next week I'll try to adapt to a new routine. This week, still fighting the bug and need to be cautious.

Anyhow.

I'm not rich. I should be paying off bills, but much of what I'm getting are things I've needed for a long while and should finally get. Helmet, jacket, glasses. Plus a new soundcard to make better podcasting happen. Pretty unspectacular list, but it'll feel great to know I have no pressing needs anymore. Yay me. Yay!