For you, the dress code is casual.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

thoughts & photos

Well, I had an okay bike ride today, about 10km. Not far, by any stretch, nothing like I'm normally accustomed. But it's the first decent activity I've had since I took sick at the start of March. Actually, since about February 10th or so, aside from walking for the remainder of that month. It was crazy-assed cold, so biking wasn't something I felt up to.

So, it's a start. Soon, I'll be back to my 20-30km rides, on which I get nice tans and lots of groovy photos. I'm downloading some shots to my computer now, and will soon play.

I spent some time with the Boyfriend tonight. Felt terrible for the guy. He's had his soft cast/splint removed from his broken leg -- a leg broken in three places, on both the fibula and tibia. His surgery -- for two metal plates -- has apparently left a hell of a scar, which I've yet to see, and which is still technically a closed formerly-gaping wound, still scabby and such. His foot, oh, mercy -- bruised and battered and left for dead, really.

His stitches were removed earlier and his foot twitched the whole time I was there. Some days, you just feel for someone, and being there's about all you can do. But I took it up a notch and brought him a nice dinner and tidied up his room a little to get rid of evil dust, all the bottles, etc, since at least a month on crutches awaits the poor bastard.

I'm surprisingly calm about all this. I should be all bitter and sad that this guy I really like has been made effectively lame, but honestly, apart from feeling badly for him and wishing he wasn't in pain and could live life as he wished, I really don't feel any of that. I always say my favourite phrase is, "It is what it is." Meaning, there's not much we can do about things sometimes. They are what they are, and you just need to accept it. This, I accept. He's a good man with a bad injury, and life'll go on, and I'm learning to be patient. Fortunately, we enjoy each other's company without all that built-in distraction bullshit offered by movies, music, and the world at large. Us, four walls, some conversation, and close proximity, and that's a fine night in.

Anyhow, I'd rather be traipsing about town with my loverboy, but until he's well, we'll make do any way we can. Looks like I'm polishing up my cooking and baking skills as I dote on him. He's grateful for everything I do, and I can see that as plainly as the smile on his face, so it's something I don't mind (and even like, actually) doing. Nothing like a captive audience for a meal, but even better yet is someone who knows good food when they taste it. He does. :) And so he should.

Well, it's time I've posted some photos, so... here we go. All but one of these were taken last week near my place on a bike ride in the sun.

There's a pier, and these are the pilings as seen from above.



My first weeping willow on the verge of full foliage. Makes ya wanna listen to Weeping Willow by the Verve.



I only noticed this recently, that this piece of graffiti at the bus stop near my home says "The Scribe." They're replacing all the bus stops in the area, it would seem, so I shot the photo for posterity's sake. Nothing like accidentally moving to the right hood.



More pilings.



And yet more pilings, but this time they're the remnants in the marsh.



Vancouver is littered with cherry blossoms. Some look like that pink elephant popcorn from when I was a kid. These are some.



Just one of those weird photos you snap. I've become the tree trunk in shadow form.