For you, the dress code is casual.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I'm Steff and I'll be your Pilot

Work beckons soon. The shower's running, getting hot. I need to make coffee, then I can jet downtown for a day of captioning.

Since I'm smart enough to not burn my bridges, I'm using my old employers over Christmas and it looks like I may get to use them into the New Year. I'm working there part-time and teaching ESL part-time. Ultimately, my schedule is my own, and I can go or come as I please. Which is good, but staying motivated for making money is imperative.

I've been insanely busy, so this blog suffers. Sometimes it's a case of just not caring, sometimes it's just not having enough in me. It's kind of a joke, the readership being as low as it is, compared to what it once was, but I don't care. My pride's not an issue. Nowadays, this blog's like an old pair of jeans. Just fits in all the right places, and while it's not always appropriate, when it is, there just ain't nothing better.

I haven't been trying to sell my writing since September. I'm not sure why. Someone lulled my into a sense of complacency by paying me modestly per week over the fall to contribute to their site -- I got lazy.

I had sent a couple feelers out at the start of November, and then was prompty, I thought, ignored. Last night, I discovered that there were more than 100 emails...

...And one from a New York City subscription-based magazine inviting me to submit work to them.

Oh, killer! That's a GREAT way to make a first impression. Fail to respond to an editor's email for five weeks. Nice!

But all is not lost. I'm in a dialogue with them. This would be so fucking cool. Something running in a NYC magazine. That's a first step towards something real. Hmm. Let's hope.