For you, the dress code is casual.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Screw Santorum

So, I had the Daily Show from Monday on tape and only got around to watching it now, armed with my coffee and my bagel. This is a quick, spur-of-the-moment rant. Clearing my head before another gruelling fucking day at work. (God, I hate this working-for-a-living shit.)

Senator Rick Santorum was on. It was a pretty civil affair, but the pigheadedness of the GOP platform was immovable during the brief chat.

Santorum's notorious for being opposed to gay marriage, and that was the primary focus of the interview, and the primary focus of my couch-bound grumblings a few moments ago.

Canada, if you don't know, has essentially legalized gay marriage. I think we're still waiting on the Queen's royal decree (a largely ceremonial last step, when the Q's representative in the country, the Governor-General, ratifies the bill and, presto).

I was feircely proud as a Canadian that my country took that step. I was thrilled it happened so close to our national birthday, too. What a fitting statement.

I have only a couple things to say about gay marriage:

I'm sick and fucking tired of Republicans saying that the sanctity of marriage needs to be protected.

Didn't you get the fucking memo? One out of every two marriages falls apart.

We've got kids toting guns to school, kids participating in "swarmings," and we're still dealing with a crisis of teen pregnancies.

What part of this suggests we got it right the first fucking time? What part of the so-called "family unit" suggests that our kids are getting the love and protection they deserve?

If it weren't broke, I wouldn't suggest fixing it.

But it's fucking broken. It's time. And Canada figured that out. The world's too goddamned short on love, and denying those willing to make that commitment, willing to hold sacred the notion of love and commitment, on the basis of who it is they're loving? Insane.

* * *
If you haven't heard, I have a new blog. Send me an email for the new link. I'm excluding friends and family from the equation since it's largely about sex, so the link won't be published here. You email me, you get the link. Very simple transaction. The Last Ditch @ gmail.com.

And I thanked him there, but I'd like to thank him again. Some of the tricky template problems on my pretty new blog were resolved by Digitalicat, and he rocks. Thanks, Digi.

And you should still hit the Top Blog button, because I'm still loving the attention. :)