For you, the dress code is casual.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

You want a revolution? All right.

Yes, yes. I'm a raging liberal. I've got a great big mushy heart in which I think all god's children deserve freedom and goodness and fresh-baked donuts. I just can't help myself.

Yet, still. Every now and then, I reach the conclusion that the world would be a better place if democracy had an IQ prerequisite. I think stupid people deserve dictators. It would just make things a little less complicated, don't you think?

Case in point.

Yesterday, to make my commute to Surrey a little less painful, I rode my trusty scooter to the skytrain.* This time, I chose to ditch my ride at Joyce Street Station, my first time taking that one. Okay, second, actually. So, I get off my scoot and out of the corner of my eye I spot hippy boy and hippy girl. He's got the floppy long blond hair and unkempt beard, stretched out taupe wool sweater over a dark blue retro collared shirt, which also hangs untucked at the bottom, over his shitty brown cords. She's little Mary Sunshine with her tangled long red hair, big, big smile, jeans and '80s grey-blue ski jacket. They're protesting.

Hmm, so, I stand there taking off my helmet, swapping my rain coat for my brown seude car coat, wondering who they represent. A little unruly for Doctors Without Borders. Way too obvious for Greenpeace. Women Against Violence Against Women? He looks like exactly the bleeding heart type to use a cause as a fuck button. So to speak.

Finally, I'm ready to head to the train. I step around the parked station wagon that's obscuring my view, and I see the sign on their information table: The Trotskyist League.

Suddenly War and Peace starts drumming in my head and I start laughing. Then I see the next sign: "Defending North Korea's right to possess nuclear weapons!"

Not only that, they had their propaganda written in Korean, too! Turns out it's a Korean neighbourhood. All the old Korean folk passing them by would shake their heads and scowl.

Nothing like young students who are too fucking stupid to read up on what they're protesting for, huh? Yeah, let's sit idly by as a guy who orchestrated a massive famine in the '90s, killing untold quantities of the peasant population, builds himself a little mass-destruction arsenal. Good plan, Stan. Some estimates say his policies starved as many as three million, or about 8% of the country. Sure, yeah, let HIM have the little red button.

I'm anti-war, but I'm sure as hell anti-nutbag-with-nukes, too. I mean, I'm used to hippies protesting for peace, but protesting for the right for everyone to run out and buy nukes? Jesus. Is it just me, or is freedom of speech getting weirder and weirder? Boy, oh, boy. Fucking Trotskyist League.
You say you want a revolution
Well you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
All right All right

You say you got a real solution
Well you know
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well you know
We're doing what we can
But when you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell you is brother you have to wait
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
All right All right

You say you'll change the constitution
Well you know
We all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well you know
You better free your mind instead
But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow
Don't you know know it's gonna be all right
All right All right

-lennon/mccartney

*I've been measuring the distance of all the skytrains from my house, and weirdly Granville, Joyce, and Nanimo are all 10km. Hmm. I wonder if that's some inane metaphor for my life.

**In other news? Dad's on the mend. I think he's gonna pull through and be okay. Insert collective sigh of relief here. ;)