For you, the dress code is casual.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Livin' Large -- Solo, Even

Trying to be a smidge more health conscious in the face of a nasty diabetes-in-Dad scare doesn't mean I can't enjoy food. (No change in Dad's condition, if you're wondering.)

Here's my adaptation of one of my faves -- the low-fat, simpler way.

Steff's Pan-Roasted Ribeye Steak
with a Brandy-Dijon "Cream" Sauce

Take a good, thick ribeye (mine was 1" thick), and, if you like, put a little bit of dijon on each side of the steak, and cover liberally with either cracked black pepper, or Montreal Steak Spice. I use hot deli dijon for this, but there are any number of good dijons that will work. Whole-grain dijon will not work for coating the steak, as it will dry out and crack off, remaining in the pan instead, but it'd be fine in the sauce made at the end. I think. I think you'd be better off with some whole grain mustard, but not all.

In an oven-proof frying pan, melt 1/2 tbsp butter with 1/2 tbsp olive oil, and turn to medium-high heat. Get it really hot, then sear the steak for TWO minutes on each side. Pop in the oven, and continue roasting for FOUR minutes for a rare-ish steak, five or six for medium-ish, and about 7 or 8 or so if you're dumb enough to like well-done. (Fools! Not in MY kitchen, you don't!) You're looking at about 8 minutes for a proper tenderloin medallion (med-rare or rare), though, I think, for which this recipe is also killer. (Don't even READ MY BLOG if you like your tenderloin well-done! JESUS.)

While the steak's roasting, prep your salad. When the steak's done, take it out, loosely cover, and let rest for 10 minutes. Now's a good time to put a dash of butter onto sliced baguette and top with a bit of parmesan, and broil until the cheese is bubbly and brown. (I use provolone piccante instead of parmesan, to save money.)

In the pan with the steak drippings, over medium-low heat, add about a teaspoon or so of dijon, mix with a whisk, add a tablespoon or two of good brandy, and about a tablespoon or two of skim milk. Mix, and serve over steak.

If you wanted something heftier for the sauce, you could do port, but I think you'd need real cream for that one.

I made the salad, even the dressing, the bread, and the steak, and dinner was ready in 15 organized minutes. Easy as pie and a hell of a treat on a work night.

(I got seven of these incredible ribeye steaks for $28 at Stong's Market here in Van. Good Uruguayan cows lived a free-ranging life before giving their lives for my yummy meal. I'm touched. Nice cows. Very.)