For you, the dress code is casual.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Remembering Myself

Geez, the first thing that goes out the window when a loved one is ill is all thought of yourself. You juggle your schedule to make yourself available, and then you do a lot of phone calling, and then you sit on your hands in between it all as you wait for news of any kind.

Well, I've been eating lousy, not being particularly nice to myself, and on top of that, I was smoking a little too much weed after everything hit me late last week. It's a stressor thing. You know, "shit! this is too much -- gimme reprieve."

So, yeah, done with that. I worked a full day today, picked up some veggies, and made myself a monster salad tonight. Used pomegranate seeds for the first time ever, and that was interesting. Tasty goodness in a salad. I have more left for my work-lunch salad for tomorrow.

Now, I'm doing a facial, since all the stress and bad food has made me break out like a teenager on the verge of the prom. Yeesh. I'm 33, thank you. Fuck off, zits.

And to top everything else off, I've finally hydrated properly, AND I changed my bedding and flipped my mattress.

So, maybe I won't wake up feeling like trash in the morning. Yesterday and this morning were both hard as hell on me, for different reasons. I sort of dread going to bed as a result, honestly, but I'm about to do just that, having been underwhelmed by the election coverage on The Daily Show. Except one observation about something that pissed me off: Why, when there's a new female speaker of the house, does there HAVE to be a Vagina Monologues joke? Can we stop having grade-10 level male humour at all times? That one pissed me the hell off, even though I love TDS. I think it's highly unlikely a guy would get the Speaker nod and then have TDS make jokes about him wanting lines about his penis in the Pledge of Allegiance. It's just stupid.

In other news, I'm a happy kid that Rumsfeld is out. I think Bush was a moron to be so firm about the unceremonious turfing of Rummy in advance of an election, and I'm baffled by his explanation that he didn't think it was fair to do it right before an election to score political points. I dunno what I think of Gates. I don't think turning tail and running from Iraq is the answer, I just know that the status quo wasn't working, and change was needed. Rumsfeld lost the war from Day One by failing to commit enough troops. I dunno what's going to change things now, but the perspective change sure can't hurt.

In totally honest news, I'm really impressed with how well Bush has handled the "thumping" they received, and I'm also concerned that he just may be wily enough to make this into a positive for the Republicans over the next two years. I'd really rather not see them get their shit together, and I'd love to see what fiscally responsible Democrats might be able to manage, if that's not an oxymoron.

But tonight I just don't care. My bed -- clean and firm and good -- awaits. Yay.

But the news down south is welcomed in my home and northern native land. Many of us are relieved to see a more liberal administration taking shape. It's been a scary friggin' six years. 12, if you count the last real majority seen. I was in the Yukon and remember pacing my apartment, listening to the returns on the radio. Ahh. God, how much has changed since then. Wow.

Bed. Right.