For you, the dress code is casual.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Hey, Look, Ma! No Hands! And Progress, Too!

I gotta rush out of the house pretty quick-like now, but hey. Had a good weekend -- got a lot done on the podcast front. I have about eight minutes of edited content. Now I know how much I still need to record -- quite a bit, but I think I can manage it over the coming weekend.

I was fucking brilliant to set up my weekend as I have. I wound up not doing anything special on Saturday, finding the headspace to get into, etc. Then I worked on Sunday -- after I did about 3-4 hours podcasting in the morning (of which about four minutes proved useable -- various versions of the same things). Monday wound up being about 5-6 hours of editing. It's slow going, but it's going!

I'm gonna go through my "corrupt" stuff to see if I can find some 10-30 second segments that I can weave together. Some of that shit was FUNNY, but the quality sucks. Snippets might work, and then I'll have to edit it for peaks and explosions.

Along with all the fun free SFX stuff I'm finding on the web -- from Mel Blanc through to Family Guy snippets -- I think I'll have a fairly entertaining show. I love the little bitsies I'm laying throughout. I want this to be a fun broadcast to listen to.

If there's anything I'm fortunate with in regards to my work and such, it's that I've really learned through my job to pay attention to timing and how to edit. It's sorta neat. Now I need to buckle down and do an hour or so of edit work a night over the next few nights. I'm laying enough groundwork, building an MP3 file folder of useable snippets, that a two-week turnaround on shows should be possible. Hell, I think this one'll be finished sometime next week.

Yes, THIS one is taking forever -- but only because I'm choosing to have a high-quality show and because I refuse to compromise on the quality. I could have worse attributes. I know the show'll improve with each episode, because experience builds talent, but why not set the standards somewhat high at the beginning? Huh?

One particularly odd little clip of mine has me doing a play-by-play on a tarp being laid down. Somehow, it's a three-minute segment. It's weird. It's sort of, well, a tribute to the nothingness of Seinfeld and all. I mean, it's a tarp. Really.

Anyhow. This is getting to be fun. It's creative in a new way. I like challenges once I start seeing over the top mound of the hill, you know? It's all "pfft! Sure, it WAS hard, but now it's cake, man!" And that's sort of where I'm at.

Things are no longer looking good on the advertising front, but such is life. I'm gonna have a fun product. Advertising will come. I know -- I KNOW -- that all my blogs have suffered during this podcast discovery time. I know my hits are down. I know my quality took a long walk and has yet to come back. I know.

And I know I'll reverse that trend. It'll be hard work. But, fuck it, man. I did it once. Now I know better how to do it again. I'll prevail. And I'll have a fun, fun podcast, too. I hope!

I'm glad I've never listened to other people's podcasts (heh, so fuckin' stubborn am I!) because it's kept my imagination wide open on doing this one. What the hell. I can learn from others later. Now it's my time.

Did I mention I'm having fun? Right. Lots o' dat. And some confidence is making a return, too. Woo!

Well, now it's shower time.