For you, the dress code is casual.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Yawn. The Big Day Ensues!

I dislike job interview days. Stressful. I get all pensive-like. That I've fired off six or so resumes this morning, and a few yesterday, and have heard nothing isn't helping. Maybe I don't need to hear anything. Maybe I have this job in the bag. Out of the last ten job interviews I've had, only the most recent one was a bust. Every other time, I've gotten the job. I'm accustomed to acing interviews. Doesn't mean I enjoy them.

I'm feeling so good about the fact that I can hear today. I'm realizing now how much of my life I've missed out on in the last couple of months; how often I've pretended to hear something but really didn't, how often I was frustrated and feeling out of the loop. It's amazing how much hearing defines your relationships. It's fantastic I've resolved this problem the week that my job search gets serious. Looking for work is challenging enough, but doing so when you're not on your game makes it too easy to lose the chance to prove yourself. Given the chance, proof is what I provide.

I haven't felt this confident in a long time. I feel determined.

The day light hitting my desk just took on a warmer hue. Maybe the weather's improving. Maybe this torturous ride out to Burnaby won't be so horrid after all.

The job's for teaching ESL. I hate and love it simultaneously. There's something cruelly ironic about being in love with the English language and then having to sit there and endure its butchery day after day after fucking day.

"I come will later today see you!"

No, Yoda, you won't. Fucking hell, man. It's really like teaching Yoda syntax, except I don't get wicked spaceship-levitating tips and mind-reading lessons in exchange. Missing out on that concoction in his cauldron for supper isn't much of a loss, though.

But, hey, I'll take a rent cheque. And this is easily one of the highest-paying ESL jobs out there, though they make no mention of extended health benefits. Pay me enough, and I don't care. Yeah. I'm all about the dollar. I have a price. It's $650 a month, plus utilities, the good life, and assorted bills.

All this, and more! For a limited time only. (Besides, I've just been watching the Marathon Man, and I suddenly have no interest in going to the dentist, given the painful "truth extraction" dental-torture technique used in that film.)

Truth be told, I'm sort of glad my old job was a bust. Whatever I get, I'll be proud I found something new. I'll be glad to be doing something different. I'll enjoy the challenge and the meeting of new people. I'm fucking tired of redundancy, and variety will be a pleasant change. It's neat, I've applied for such a great range of stuff in the last few days that I know something will work out, and my life will change.

In any case, I'll hear the imperfection of the Yodas in my life much better than I have of late. That, I'm not so sure I'm as excited about. Still, all good. I'll be fine. I think, I hope, I pray.