For you, the dress code is casual.

Monday, June 12, 2006

What's That You Said?!

I can hear again!

It seems like the hearing loss was greatly exacerbated (if there was one at all) by a slowly declining receiver. I've worn in-the-ear hearing aids for 17 years and have never, ever experienced the fading-away death of a receiver before now. My GOD. I mean, receivers die every 18 months or so, and they always crackle or just die. They don't do a slow-fucking-death descent like that! Ridiculous!

What an incredibly rewarding experience, that of rediscovering my hearing. I cannot tell you enough how angry and frustrated I have been through all of these experiences with my hearing of late. I can't explain to you how scared and worried and confused I felt, nor how desperately I was trying one thing after another to try and "fix" my hearing.

I have to say, when I watched "It's All Gone Pete Tong" last week, I could never have seen a better representation on screen of how emotionally gut-wrenching it feels to have your world going silent on you.

Jesus, I feel so much better. I just feel so damned relieved. I'm not going deaf; it's the bloody equipment. Oddly... the OTHER hearing aid completely cut out and died right before bed last night. That's right! Both hearing aids met their death in the same week. (The other had fallen from about 50-60% functionality down to 20% in the space of a week.) Fuckin' full moons, man! My toaster oven's on the decline, my OSX has to be reinstalled, my camera went on the fritz last night, and the Guy's friggin' backpack of ten years finally blew its clasp. What, the universe has up and snickered at the technology in my life?

Fuck you, cosmos! I'm having the last laugh, mannnnnn!

Weird! Great timing, having them both go. Could you imagine my rage if I got the one replacement aid, only to have the other hearing aid die an hour before a job interview?! Holy shit, man! Hell would have no fury like mine! (And it doesn't. Pray you never see me angry. I'm, well, intense.)

__________________________

The Great Job Search of 2006 continues.

I fear my email of the other night has not gone through, for the job I'd really like. I'm about to re-send that. I've sent two out today, and will send one more. Then I'll do another check first thing in the morning and send resumes out for whatever looks good then.

The thing is, when job-searching, to never waste your time sending for things you know aren't GREAT for you. If you can't have enthusiasm and desire in your cover letter, then don't fucking bother.

I've never sent many resumes out for work in the past, never more than six, honestly, and I've never needed to. I assess the situation and send my resume when I know it's going to fit well in my world. Then I go at it, aggressively... but always with a cheesy grin. And it pays off.

I'm confident this'll work out for me, but I'd rather not be kept in suspense.

Tomorrow, Interview Number One. Not bad, first interview awarded on Day Two of the search. I suspect I'll likely get the job, but it's unlikely that it'll be for more than 15 or so hours a week. That'd work well with what I'm doing now, but I ultimately wish for a full-time job that keeps my schedule a little more sane... and without evening classes, like I'm presently teaching. We'll see what goes down.

I hate to admit it, but the search is sort of fun. It's neat; there's a lot of cool shit around, and I'm not having to apply for endless "sit here and type" bullshit jobs that don't mesh with my exuberance and sense of spontanaeity. Wicked.

The one I just applied for would involve riding my scooter and visiting people. Coolies! (Until October, that is!) Whatever! We'll see what comes down the pipes. Should be quite the voyage.