For you, the dress code is casual.

Friday, June 23, 2006

So, That's Nice

One of my interviews today was rescheduled. The interviewer gave me a call in the hour before the interview to say she had an emergency meeting. Now, I could've gone there and had a quickie interview, but she specifically did not want to rush the chat with me. That bodes well, and it also speaks of a considerate corporate mindset, something I truly value in an employer.

The wait drones on, but Monday is a three-interview, one-scheduled phonecall day. I'm gonna be on my game by Monday. I slept like trash last night and got through my interview this morning, but I was Good Steff, and not Stellar Steff.

Ironically, three of the places I'm speaking with Monday have to do with businesses I've encountered previously, in my last employment incarnation. I'm thrilled, because I know what I'm getting myself into, for starters, but also because each of them nurtures a slightly different corporate environment, but all are creative and value innovation from their employees at all levels -- precisely the kinds of establishments I ought to be working in.

I may not have a job yet, but I am growing increasingly proud of myself. I'm out there slugging away and not just getting "job" interviews, but interviews with places I could foresee as being career-type establishments... provided I don't get rich and famous through writing and radio on my own. And that's all right, knowing there could be a future for me at these places is a pretty sweet thing to know.

A year ago, in this predicament, I might have gone around trying to secure a part-time retail job first, and then hoped that over time I would achieve a "real" job. That I've had the confidence and patience to try and get a "real" career first is a testament, I think, to how much I've grown in this time I've had to myself. I'm excited about my future. Still scared shitless right now, but I feel like I'm on the verge. The verge of what, well, I don't know, but it's feeling like the right things are coming down the pipe.

I was thinking about it yesterday, how strange all this timing is. I discovered my conundrum (the quickly vanishing government support cheques) 16 days ago. That was the day my new computer was supposed to arrive, but it was one day late and came on Thursday. Had it arrived Wednesday, I would never have logged onto the gov website and checked my account status, and this may have all just magically occured to me without my seeing it coming. That would've been devastating.

But, instead, I had a heads-up, already had my resume prepared (mostly, had to make changes and such) and was able to get the ball rolling that weekend on looking for work. (Goes to show you -- always have that resume ready, just in case!) Then, I find out that unemployment's at 4.5% provincially, the lowest in years, if not decades, and that the job market is insanely out of control with opportunties that were inconceivable just a year ago.

The Liberals, I think, are doing an incredible job on BC's economy, and I'm about to reap the rewards, I think.

Lucky, lucky me. Great timing. I'm thrilled, sort of, that my old company had no work for me. This means a big change, new happenings... something I've needed for a long, long time. My goal is to be working on July 4th (the 3rd is a stat here)... which would, of course, ironically be "independence" day for me in a whole new way. Wouldn't that be sweet? Yes, indeedie.

But, first, a nap is needed. :) Happy weekend, boys and girls.