For you, the dress code is casual.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Funky chicken skewers

I'd serve these with a Carribbean style rice next time, or something like that. Salad was weird.

Anyhow, another little something I invented on a whim tonight, and man, did it work out all right. Easy, too.

In a blender, combine:

1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup green onions (dark green part)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
3 cloves smashed garlic
1-2 tsps kosher salt
1-2 tsps cracked black pepper
juice of 3 juicy lemons (trick when buying: go for the heaviest lemons, they have more juice than their buddies there)

Puree.

Go for about a pound or so of boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into chunks for a skewer. Put 'em in the marinade and let 'em get happy for one, two, three, four hours. Whatever, but a minimum of an hour.

Skewer them.

Barbecue until happy, about a combined 10-12, over med-high heat. I flipped them each after 2-3 minutes and basted, because I could. They'll fall apart when you fork'em, they get so tender in that marinade. I think it's the combination of acidity and whatever it is yogurt brings to the mix. Nice.

I wanted to use lime juice, incidently, but at 78 cents a piece, I decided instead to laugh my ass off and grab some lemons. Go for lime, if you can. Might be wicked good. Do something with tomatoes on the side -- anything you want. :)

(Next time, I'm gonna toast some cumin, grind it, add it to equal parts olive oil and lime juice, and make a nice salad with either butter or iceberg lettuce, and then have some Caribbean rice, too. Some pineapple for dessert, maybe, marinated in vodka. :)