For you, the dress code is casual.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Deed Is Done

Cut. That's a wrap, Henry! And... print.

In the movie of my life, it seems another scene has done played out. I walked out of what was essentially the closest thing to family I've really known for the past few years. My bosses were classy ladies. Flawed, as any human tends to be, but in very unimposing ways. They were damned fine people to know and work for, and the best bosses I've had to date.

The co-workers, a couple kinda got under my skin, and one sort of really fucked me over back in the fall, which just left me feeling betrayed, but there were a few really awesome people in the office, too, who I'd never decline a drink with.

But I'm so fucking glad it's done.



So, this was the sunset I found as I left my job this evening. I timed it that way, you know. I left at 4:25, figuring I could be at the beach by 5:35, just in case. As I rode into work, I saw a band of light on the horizon of a very grey day, literally and figuratively, and grew optimistic of what I might find when I left later. And this was it.

Oh, today? My mother's birthday. I planned quitting on her birthday* so my Record of Employment would be dated for it. My mother always regretted not pursuing her dreams younger in her life. Dying at 57 will do that to you. My tribute to my mother, on her birthday, is my doing exactly that. Giving a dream some fulfillment. Where this leads, I don't care. I'll enjoy the time I have, hope for the best, do my best, and see what washes out. I'm easily appeased, and life's too short to sweat it.

So, sunset, meet readers. Readers, meet a foggy West End sunset in the last days of winter. The sunlight refracts like mad off the light misty fog, resulting in this crimson bath. Love it. Created by nature, brought to you by Steff. ;)


*Things just came to a head this month, and it took a week to decide to do this, a week to screw up the courage, and then I pushed things back a couple days to do the symbolic birthday thing. I'm not that creepy. Just weird timing, might as well do something about it, you know? Ceremony and ritual's kinda cool sometimes, and this is one of those times. Adds a dramatic punch, eh?