For you, the dress code is casual.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Aural Pleasure, some thoughts.

It’s a Friday morning. I’m spent. Done.

Every night this week, I’ve been up past 2, 3, 4. My mind’s a little too active, too many ideas, and well, my body’s been a little too active, but enough on that. I’m stiff all over as a result of a workout a couple nights back, it’s been a while since I’ve had this all-over “how do ya like me now” muscle stiffness. Feels good, feels not.

S’okay, though. It feels.

So, I’m stuck. A conundrum. Where to go now. I’ve brazenly gone and asked all my readers on my sex blog to contribute to a slush fund for podcast equipment. Someone’s gone and done the whole, “Yeah, but you can do it cheaper,” thing.

I know. I probably can. Then the image question enters the picture.

More specifically, the question of “what is my image” becomes the issue. Is it that of a perfectionist who controls mood and detail to heighten an experience? Or is it as a kamikaze, life-for-the-moment, and do-it-any-way-it-takes kinda perspective? I really don’t know. Maybe it’s both.

I know what I want – I want a sexy, fun, irreverent show that’s geared to 18-34 year old listeners. It’ll be edgy, hip, now. It won’t just be about me, it’ll be about sex in the world today. The news, the politics, the culture. And there will be rants. And there’ll be eroticism. It’ll be a whole bag of goodness.

But what will better suit it out the gates, a high-quality production, or a low-fi gritty do-it-like-you-gotta kinda vibe? And then, what’s going to fit better on me?

I have a pretty husky, sultry kinda voice, like a female disc jockey or something. That could work well with a low-fi sound, or it could fall apart. I don’t know.

I’m gonna let my readers decide. If they can chip in, they’ll get the show I have in my mind, a longer, more professional sounding show. I’m details-oriented, I’m confident I’d do it well. If they don’t chip in, I’ll have to wait until I have the cash to make a low-quality version fly, and reduce the amount of time for the broadcast, etc.

Either way, it’ll be interesting to see where it goes.

So, that reader called me on asking for the money, sort of, saying they’ve done theirs for cheap and all that. But, seriously. Think about it. A) I have a thousand readers a day, I have a built-in audience, and I want to do a great program with great quality, if I can. It’s why they read me – my drive for excellence fuels my content, suggestions, and style. But, B) Asking can result in you getting some pretty amazing things. There’s no harm in asking.

I might just get what you want. Would that be so wrong? My pride stopped being useful to me long ago. Yeah, I’ll fuckin’ ask. Then I’ll move on if I’m told no. A biggie? Non, monsieur.

Should be fun to see what shakes out. Have a good weekend, folks, and feel free to way in with unsolicited advice. ;)