For you, the dress code is casual.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

To blog or not to blog

Hanging with a friend tonight for an end-of-season beer-and-pizza conversation at the beach, and I confessed that I think this blog's days are numbered.

I've had fun with it while it's lasted. It served me in a very crucial way during a crucial period of my life, but honestly, it's been shit since about June. I've had a few really good postings since then (really good, and I know it), but there's something preventing me from trying most of the time. I'm considering a new blog, but I've not committed to it yet.

"The Last Ditch," the title, refers to my last ditch attempt to become a writer after all those years of writer's block. The blog did for me what it needed to do: It got me back in touch with words. These days, I put so little thought into my posts that they're tantamount to blowing smoke out my ass. I had thought recently that I would try to really vary my postings, but I don't seem to care anymore.

That said, my sex blog won't fit the entire bill for me, not in a permanent kind of way. I'll need something else. My life is pretty hectic right now, though, so I'm not sure when the motivation to create something new will arise. I'm also not sure whether I'll publish the URL on here, but I probably will. My ego will probably keep me from favouring anonymity.

I won't kill this blog. It'll stay up as a testimony of my year. That said, the "year" doesn't end until November 3rd. I will keep this blog going until a year to the day that it began. Hopefully I'll top 20,000 hits before that happens. Speaking of hits, I'm on the verge of 45,000 at my new blog, in 2.5 months, which astounds me.

Maybe I'll change my mind about this, but I really think it's time to pull the plug, take a couple weeks or a month or so off, and start fresh. They say that any new writer should write a novel, then throw it out, and write the "real" novel. Why? Because the first one's almost always self-involved bullshit... which this blog has been, save for some really fun posts in between it all.

The trick is in being mature enough to know when that's what it is: Self-involved. I know. I'm certain. It's that. So, these are the thoughts running through my mind. Stay tuned.

(I thought my one-year anniversary was Nov. 4, but I was wrong: Nov. 22. I'll be posting until November, at least, and maybe until the one-year... or else that's the day I'll launch a new blog to replace this. Haven't figured it out yet. :)