For you, the dress code is casual.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The Unpacking Chronicles: PCing Bastards!

They've politically corrected my childhood!

I've just unpacked another find, but you need some background first. Once, after a strange bookstore-work conversation had unfolded about books that influenced us as kids, a coworker found my then-favourite book, which had been repackaged/renamed in the last decade or so. It was one of the three or four books that got me interested in world events, et al. To this day, I'm a politics and current affairs junkie.

The original name of my fave childhood book? NAZI GOLD.

Yes, you heard right. But it was this empowering, liberating story about a bunch of innovative and daring kids who steal the gold bullions of Norway out from under those Nazi swine simply by hiding the gold under them on their sleds and sledding casually by the big bad ol' Nazis as they careened down into the fjords.

(Now, apparently this was a widely believed story for some 40 years after the war, but there's no proof it ever happened.)

I thought it'd happened. I freakin' loved it. Read it time and time again. The title now? "SNOW TREASURE."

You go from Nazi Gold to "Snow Treasure?"

C'mon! I look like a sissy reading "Snow Treasure." I want to read about "NAZI GOLD." It's like Spy Kids versus Hitler! Bad guys and gold! And who wants a treasure filled with snow? It's water, for crying out loud!