For you, the dress code is casual.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

You're gonna probe me with what?

Yes, an ugly photo, but I think acupuncture's freaking amazing. I realize people don't like needles. I sure as hell don't. But there comes a time when chronic pain compromises your quality of life, and you exhaust traditional efforts. I took a chance with acupuncture for the first time a few years ago, and yes, it did help.

For the first time ever, I'm getting regular treatments. I always do it after work on Thursdays (usually every second one) so I start my weekends on a good ch'i note. In short? Acupuncture rocks--physically, mentally, and spiritually. Show me a Tylenol 3 that'll do all that for ya.

* * * *

About the Photo:
The needles are maybe 2.5 inches long, but they're incredibly thin. Most points do not hurt upon insertion, not if it's a skilled doctor. There are "trauma" type points, though. Think of them as the source of all your problems. Unfortunately, these ones tend to have a touch of unpleasantness about them. They hurt a bit during insertion, but then the doctor, if he's a good one, will manipulate the needle a bit, causing further irritation. This apparently stimulates the ch'i and is the trigger for healing. All the more reason to find a nice drink when you hit home.

However, the discomfort settles down as soon as he stops, which would seldom be more than 20 or 30 seconds. You'll grit your teeth, but you'll be fine. As you heal, though, that particular point will get better and become painfree when you're poked. That's taken about 3 sessions for me. And oh, so worth it.

So you've noticed the copper tip, I assume. Absurdly simple, Dr. Watson. The copper top acts as a conductor when you're left Zen-like upon the table whilst copping a porcupine pose. There's a heat lamp maybe 6 inches above you, and the heat (relatively low-key) travels down the needle, into your tissue. Further stimulating the ch'i, and helping you reach internal Happy Camper-ness.

Yep, it's a two thumbs-up from me, Gene.

[ED. NOTE: Wrong-o! Turns out the needles are FOUR inches long! Doh! They accidentally didn't dispose of one in the "hazardous materials" bin, so I got a good look. (No touch, of course.) Definitely a spooky four inches long. Crazy! And I pay for that. Fortunately, it makes me feel good and even sort of drunk by the time I get done. Zen is good!]