For you, the dress code is casual.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Is that it?

Apparently George Michael is quitting pop music for good. I know it's not at all cool to admit that I've always had a soft spot for George, and maybe that's some kind of inner "fag hag" or something, but this makes me bitter.

The best work he ever did was "Songs From the Last Century," and that was never really pop, but a throwback to another time, which George does with flair. His "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime" is my fave version. Apparently he disdains the course pop music has taken. Well, don't we all? But if the decent pop artists leave, we'll be damned to the bubblegum divas ad nauseum.

I naively think his reasonings for quitting are kind of weak (the damaging cult of celebrity, et al), but the dude's had a rough decade. I know a little of what trouble after trouble feels like, so I can grasp just giving everything up, but I can't grasp what it must be like to be just trying to cope and then finding paparazzi around each corner.

(And speaking of weirdness, last year the guy had a stalker living under his floorboards for four days. The ditz screamed his name while he was on the phone, jumped out from her hiding spot, and ran naked out of the house. Maybe I can see why he's not enjoying fame anymore.)

Still. I'm bitter. It's not like I even listen to him much anymore, but I'd like that choice. Mmf.