For you, the dress code is casual.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Hooked on Phonics

So I caught a news broadcast earlier, and again the buyable Canuck identity was an issue. You know, for travelling Americans either daunted by their bad rep, avoiding the fact that they've elected a Bush-league moron to run the nation, or simply hoping to be treated like the goodly folk us Canadians usually get treated as.

But during the broadcast, my skin crawled. The reporter pronounced Canuck as "Kin-nook." It's Canuck, people. Rhymes with your favourite four-letter word. Don't make me fook you up, you know?

[While we're talking about silly pronunciations, let's just clear one thing up: saying "oot" and "aboot" ain't a national linguistic trait. A few folks in the east speak like that. We, too, have regional dialects, y'all. And some of us don't have any accent at all. Not me, though. I'm told I sound distinctly Bostonian. Beats the hell out of me, since I've never been there, but hey. Starts some interesting conversations, I'll tell ya.]