For you, the dress code is casual.

Friday, January 07, 2005

The Ax Falls

A good stiff drink and David Lean. This is my Friday night in. It's been a long week, culminating in a third of my coworkers getting the ax at work today. I wasn't there for the bloodletting, but found out instead yesterday afternoon. I feel badly about it, but I've kept my job, and for that, I'm grateful. Naturally, survivor's guilt accompanies that gratitude, but it's something I've some experience with. Guilt and I have a longstanding relationship. I'm not bothering to think of what the office will feel like come Monday. Better than I expect, I hope.

Dr. Zhivago is on PBS tonight. I'm taping it and watching it intermittently as I'm hit with a larger than normal dose of ADD this evening and find a three-hour movie a chore to handle at the best of times. I'm sure Mr. Lean would be gravely offended, but fortunately, he's dead. Thus, a non-issue.

It's a shame the epic wasn't on earlier, when I was embracing my inner sloth. My lazy day is a result of the snow that has been falling off and on throughout the last two days. It's a rarity here in Vancouver--perhaps even only an annual event, really. With my bum knee (I'm recouping from tear), I find it awkward navigating the packed and slippery conditions that have developed, so I've stayed near home, and have just taken some walks to catch the wintery scenes, as it's the only time the world seems new for awhile.

I'll be dealing with the city and its snow tomorrow, though, and as wary as I am about getting around, I'll secretly be enjoying my travels. I love the way snow brings the playfulness out in Vancouverites. The bubbly effervescence of children in the snow is also nearly irresistable to me. And what with global warming impacting this region so greatly these past few years, we seldom see the snowfalls I recall from my childhood. In fact, it's probable that we won't see snow again until 2006.

On that note, I believe I'll retire to my sofa and stare out at the snow whilst watching my epic and nursing the martini that's begging my attention.