For you, the dress code is casual.

Friday, July 15, 2005

Today's thoughts

In three hours, Harry Potter unleashes in Vancouver.

I think it's great that London has something fun like the Harry Potter release happening this week. The book is such a phenomenon, and while a lot of people begrudge that, I don't.

I love the series and have loved it since 1998. I love that a book has finally come along after all these years and just inflamed the world with a love for literature. About fucking time.

I'll always be happy I was a bookseller when the first book came out. What a great thing to happen upon well before the world found it. I'll smugly cherish that for some time to come.

* * *


The bombings in Iraq seem to be getting worse. Despite killing dozens per day, mostly civilians, the rest of the world ignores it. It's a travesty when it happens in the UK, of course it is, but it seems understandable in Iraq.

Where is our fucking indignation?

Isn't it time this problem find a solution? Isn't it time the Americans admit they're in over their heads? These bombers, in London and in Iraq, are bastards.

But you have to know when your battle is a losing cause. I would hope the horror of the 50+ dead in London would somehow illustrate the horror of 30+ dying on a given day in Iraq.

Sadly, no. Oblivion seems to continue. How easily we grow distracted.