For you, the dress code is casual.

Monday, July 04, 2005

Moments of Zen

These were both taken today. This one, I love for mysterious reasons. This is a photo of chocolate chips. Heh. It's the colours, light, and the way I've shot the glass that does it for me. I don't know why I like it so much. I might get it printed and framed for my kitchen. The blue is the colour of my living room, and my kitchen is the same shade green as the grass.

Kind of a fortunate happenstance. My first attempt with same glass/chips was inside, and I didn't like it. I thought "Well, it's still light outside..." and took it on my balcony. Worked out okay.

I call it "Venice Beach Chocolate Chips". Don't tell anyone, but they're generic chips. Hey, lean times, man. Mama always said, "You can be poor, but never look it."

chocolate chips seafoam small

But this one I love because it accidentally happened. I didn't mean for it to be such a cool "double-exposure" look. I took the steering wheel through the glass while GayBoy was talking to me. In fact, I assumed I'd just wasted the shot and was planning to autodelete it. Sure glad I didn't.

If you look in the top left, you can see the reflection of him on his scooter. His retro scoot look really meshes well with the era of the Bel-Air in the photo. As opposed to the ugly early 80s Japanese import (Datsun?) reflected in the glass, but I like that as an ironic design juxtaposition. AGAIN, fluke. FLUKE. TOTAL FLUKE. But tres cool, n'est ce pas?

Although GB and his ride look awesome in the colour version, other colours mess it up, and the brain-teaser effect works better in b&w.

I frickin' LOVE a happy accident. I wish I was smart enough to have framed this shot, and incidentally, in colour and on film, this probably would've landed in the garbage. Funny how medium changes everything.

I got to admit, I'm enjoying photography more than writing these days, but it might just be because the screws are tightening. Still, it's nice to be enjoying it.

bel air steering wheel b&w small