For you, the dress code is casual.

Friday, August 25, 2006

The BIG Weekend

I'm kind of resentful of the fact that I have to be indoors all weekend this weekend, but maybe I'm underestimating the flexibility of the "unconference" I'm attending.

It's BarCamp Vancouver this weekend, and I'm going. BarCamp still is a little fuzzy for me as to what it's really going to be, but almost all the participants are bloggers, techheads, and podcasters. I'm hoping to learn by osmosis, but I'm also hoping to just meet new people.

The head-doc took me by surprise when she looked at me last night and said, "How much of your social contact is anonymous?"

I thought about it for a minute and then grinned, "Far too much," I said. But I've known that and have been working on it. As a writer, it's a delicate balance, y'know? You can't be too popular, you can't get out too much, or your writing will suffer. As a human, it's a delicate balance. You can't write too much, you can't stay in too much, or your life will suffer. I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Getting out and meeting folk, though, is something I've wanted to do for a long, long time now, and I've been getting it done a little at a time. This weekend will be big for me, in more ways than one. I'm not sure I have the juice to handle an entire weekend, but I'm giving it a shot.

Besides, it can't hurt to learn a thing or two about a thing or two. Mostly, I want to get ideas on how to get advertising that actually pays instead of this affiliates bullshit that doesn't.

Could be cool.

In other news, my new blog's template's got to be emailed off for tweaking, which I'll send out later today. My podcasting, I know how to edit and splice together now, which is a start, and I've solved the theme / transitional song conundrum that could wind up making me look like an ass, but that I think will make my podcast stand out as being very, very unique. I think it'll even be fun. And I even have another person taking a look at my feed set-up to see why I'm having publishing issues.

So, what I need to learn this weekend, then, is ideas for advertising (which will be easier to sell as a joint package with podcast & blog space tied together) and also I need to learn [brainfreeze] --RIGHT!-- how to set up the podcast feed on Blogger when I'm through airing it on RedLightCenter.com.

Everything's starting to come together. I think I'm finally, finally going to be over that hump. Then I'll just need to start recording a new 'cast every second week.

I wanna get it published Semptember 11th because I'm going to take a gamble and do a 9/11 rant. I figure, fuck it, let's go into this new venture with guns drawn and cards on the table so they really know who they're getting in the deal, you know? I need to figure the rant out, but it'll have to do with the absence of social innocence. I have a notion, but now it needs to germinate and grow. I'm thinking about it, and the next couple of weeks will have a lot of TV specials that could unlock some thoughts for me.

Y'know what? I'm starting to enjoy this challenge now that I'm learning it's possible to do it in my ideal timeframe. In fact, I'm getting a little stoked. I can't wait to see how it all turns out. Whew! And then I'm gonna have a weekend of SLEEP, man. Fuck! :)